Africa is a vast and diverse continent, offering a wide range of cultural experiences, natural wonders, and historical landmarks that are sure to leave you spellbound.
From the bustling metropolises of Johannesburg and Lagos to the ancient cities of Marrakech and Cairo, Africa is a treasure trove of destinations that cater to all types of travelers.
Whether you’re looking to explore the vibrant art and music scenes of Dakar and Accra, or seeking a safari adventure in Nairobi or Cape Town, these 20 African cities have something for everyone. We have curated this list to help you plan your next African adventure with ease.
In this article, we will take a closer look at 20 African cities that are must-visit destinations for tourists.
African cities to visit for tourism
- Cairo, Egypt: Cairo is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Africa. It is home to the iconic Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, and the Egyptian Museum, which houses the world’s largest collection of ancient Egyptian artifacts.
- Marrakesh, Morocco: Marrakesh is a vibrant city that is known for its markets, gardens, and stunning architecture. Highlights include the Koutoubia Mosque, the Bahia Palace, and the Jardin Majorelle.
- Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Town is a beautiful coastal city that offers stunning views of Table Mountain and the Atlantic Ocean. Other attractions include Robben Island, the Victoria, and Alfred Waterfront, and the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden.
- Lagos, Nigeria: Lagos is the largest city in Nigeria and is known for its bustling markets, vibrant nightlife, and cultural landmarks. Highlights include the National Museum Lagos, the Nike Art Gallery, and the Lekki Conservation Centre.
- Accra, Ghana: Accra is the capital city of Ghana and is home to a vibrant arts and culture scene. Attractions include the National Museum of Ghana, Labadi Beach, and the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park.
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Addis Ababa is the capital city of Ethiopia and is home to a rich history and culture. Highlights include the Ethiopian National Museum, the Holy Trinity Cathedral, and the Merkato Market.
- Nairobi, Kenya: Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya and is known for its wildlife and outdoor adventures. Highlights include the Nairobi National Park, the Giraffe Centre, and the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.
- Tunis, Tunisia: Tunis is the capital city of Tunisia and is known for its historic landmarks and museums. Attractions include the Bardo Museum, the Medina of Tunis, and the Carthage Archaeological Site.
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania: Dar es Salaam is the largest city in Tanzania and is known for its beaches and outdoor adventures. Highlights include the Bongoyo Island Marine Reserve, the Kariakoo Market, and the Askari Monument.
- Rabat, Morocco: Rabat is the capital city of Morocco and is known for its historic landmarks and museums. Attractions include the Hassan Tower, the Kasbah of the Udayas, and the Royal Palace of Rabat.
- Dakar, Senegal: Dakar is the capital city of Senegal and is known for its music and culture. Highlights include the African Renaissance Monument, the Goree Island, and the Dakar Grand Mosque.
- Zanzibar City, Tanzania: Zanzibar City is the capital city of Zanzibar and is known for its historic architecture and beaches. Attractions include Stone Town, Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park, and Prison Island.
- Lusaka, Zambia: Lusaka is the capital city of Zambia and is known for its wildlife and outdoor adventures. Highlights include the Lower Zambezi National Park, the Munda Wanga Environmental Park, and the Lusaka National Museum.
- Abidjan, Ivory Coast: Abidjan is the economic capital of the Ivory Coast and is known for its vibrant cultural scene. Attractions include the St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Banco National Park, and the Abidjan Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Kampala, Uganda: Kampala is the capital city of Uganda and is known for its cultural landmarks and natural beauty. Highlights include the Uganda Museum, the Kasubi Tombs, and Lake Victoria.
- Maputo, Mozambique: Maputo is the capital city of Mozambique and is known for its historic architecture and beaches. Attractions include the Maputo Central Market, the Maputo Elephant Reserve, and the Maputo Cathedral.
- Kigali, Rwanda: Kigali is the capital city of Rwanda and is known for its history and culture. Highlights include the Kigali Genocide Memorial, the National Museum of Rwanda, and the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.
- Windhoek, Namibia: Windhoek is the capital city of Namibia and is known for its wildlife and outdoor adventures. Attractions include the Daan Viljoen Game Reserve, the Christuskirche, and the National Botanic Garden of Namibia.
- Gaborone, Botswana: Gaborone is the capital city of Botswana and is known for its wildlife and outdoor adventures. Highlights include the Mokolodi Nature Reserve, the National Museum of Botswana, and the Three Dikgosi Monument.
Africa is a continent full of amazing and diverse destinations that offer unique experiences for tourists. From the ancient Pyramids of Egypt to the stunning beaches of Cape Town, Africa has something for everyone.
In this article, we have highlighted 20 of the best African cities to visit for tourism, each with its own charm and appeal. Whether you are interested in history, culture, wildlife, or adventure, you are sure to find a city that caters to your interests. So, pack your bags and start planning your next African adventure today.